Program Excellence ensures that members of our movement continue to remain passionate about our Order. Additionally, program excellence is what attracts new teens to AZA and BBG, which is essential for the continued growth of AZA and BBG. At all levels of AZA and BBG, our programs are guided by the five folds of AZA and the six folds of BBG.
These folds exist to ensure that AZA and BBG programming is thorough, diverse in nature and promotes the intellectual, emotional, physical and spiritual growth of its members. The folds were not created to serve as a menu, but rather a checklist. A truly excellent program will encompass some of each fold, and it will further embody the attitude that each program is meant to bring something new to the lives of the members of BBYO.
Full Fold Programming is the method of intertwining folds in order to create substantial, flowing programs. The more folds utilized, and the more complex the event plan, the smarter and more stimulating the activity will be. Don’t use folds in pieces, but rather, overlay them and bake them together so that all of the folds utilized are felt throughout the experience.
The Guide to Program Excellence is a resource that should be utilized by all AZA and BBG leaders to assist them with planning chapter, council, regional and international programs that truly fit the standards of "program excellence". Additionally, check out the resource library to discover more program excellence resources.
Click here to find our Program Planning Form to help you through the process of building a stellar program - at any level. Once you've completed your program, use the Program Evaluation Form to see what you can learn for next time and what wins you get to celebrate!
International Convention Chapter Program Showcase
At International Convention, chapters have the opportunity to run an outstanding program for Alephs and BBGs from across the International Order. These programs exemplify the best of AZA and BBG, displaying a multitude of chapter and program types that inspire every Aleph and BBG to create innovative and unique programming in their home chapters.
The 5 Folds of AZA
- Athletics: Sports in AZA have always been vital to the building of brotherhood and fraternity. Many councils and regions throughout the Order compete in several different sports. Not only do AZA chapters among the Order compete in sporting events, but also participate in games and athletic-based programming.
- Community Service/Social Action: In accordance with Jewish tradition, AZA emphasizes the values of tikkun olam (repairing the world) and tzedakah (charity). Community service can entail a wide range of hands-on activities that involve direct service to those in need. Social action involves mobilizing and educating members to address problems that exist in society, and it requires a group not only to learn about these issues, but also to do something about them. AZA encourages members to take an active role in the community around them.
- Education: Through AZA, Alephs are challenged to learn about things beyond themselves and the borderlines of our Jewish faith. Through educational programming teens learn material that broaden our knowledge and give each individual Aleph a new understanding about the world around them. Education also entails teaching members the traditions of AZA.
- Judaic: Judaic programs bring a unique, spiritual aspect to life in AZA, seeking to develop an understanding of, and appreciation for, the religion and culture of the Jewish people. Through programming in the Judaic fold, we not only learn about our denomination of Judaism, but also about the ones around us, and about the branches that other members practice. Also, creative Jewish programs incorporate the popular culture of today, as well as traditional Jewish rituals.
- Social: AZA chapters sponsor and participate in a wide variety of social programs, often with BBG chapters. While there is nothing wrong with simple social programming, it is important to be creative and use the fold in the proper proportion and to combine this with other folds for effective, meaningful programming.
The 6 Folds of BBG
- Jewish Heritage: Judaism is our common bond. Programming is an integral method to help girls understand and appreciate Judaism. Judaic programming may center around traditions, prayers, culture (song/dance/food), Israel, values, and Judaism in pop culture.
- Community Service: BBG emphasizes the value of tikkun olam (repairing the world). Community service can be either direct or indirect, including either hands-on service (direct), or participating in service without necessarily coming into contact with the community being served (in-direct).
- Social Action: This fold aims to educate members about the world around us, and various challenges facing the global community. Social action also includes advocacy, speaking up for issues that affect our members.
- Recreation: Recreational programming is about moving, getting active, and having a blast! Almost any program can incorporate recreation. MBA (Mind/Body/Attitude) is a sub-fold of recreation and addresses many issues relevant to our lives as teenage girls such as body image, self-esteem, and eating disorders.
- Creativity: The fold of creativity urges members to express themselves and their opinions in new, interesting and relevant ways in order to make a greater impact and is often paired with other folds.
- Sisterhood: Sisterhood is not just a fold; it is the essence of the BBG. Sisterhood teaches us about the role of women as well as how we can support each other as sisters. Sisterhood programs build enthusiasm and dedication for BBG.