August Execs 2013: AZA BBG Int'l Joint Business Meeting
Posted on 08/18/2013 @ 12:45 AM
The AZA BBG International Executives Body meets monthly – in person or via technology – to discuss important issues, to debate business that will advance our Movement forward, and to vote on legislation (either motioned by the International Boards or from the Executives Body/any Aleph or B’nai B’rith Girl) that alters the AZA and/or BBG’s constitution, BBYO’s policies and procedures or the infrastructure of the organization. At times, the AZA BBG International Executives Body votes on resolutions or recommendations to ignite culture change or to speak with one voice on behalf of BBYO’s global community to the broader Jewish or secular communities. Essentially, the AZA BBG International Executives Body functions like BBYO’s Senate, the upper chamber of a government’s Parliament or similarly to the Israeli K’nesset.
The first AZA BBG International Joint Business Meeting of the year opened with AZA rituals, and immediately, the meeting’s agenda got underway. You can catch up on all of the details of what transpired via the minutes, which will be posted on the AZA BBG website in the coming days. In summary, the Executives Body reviewed past minutes from AZA BBG International Convention 2013 in Washington, D.C., the series of ‘Movement moments’ since February (East Coast Kallah, the March of the Living, J-Serve, Stand UP Week, AIPAC Policy Conference, Stand UP and Rebuild Summit, Summer Programs 2013, the launch of BEYOND, etc.) and the new plan for the updated International Leadership Network.
You can download and read the full text of each of this August’s full motions in the legislative booklet that is posted on the blog page. In summary, here’s a list of the business discussed and the result following full votes:
- AZA BBG Global Shabbat themes are available for voting online: http://bbyo.org/azabbg/shabbat2013/
- AZA BBG Oratory and Storytelling themes have been selected and will be posted for online voting once Alumni of the Year nominees are selected
- Resolution Recognizing BBYO Mid-America Region: North Star Council – recognizing the transition of North Star Region into a Council of Mid-America Region, PASSED
- Resolution Recognizing BBYO Liberty Region – recognizing the merger of Central Region East and Philadelphia Region, PASSED
- Resolution Recognizing Slovakia and Lithuania as New BBYO Communities, PASSED
- Motion, Approving the Creation of CLTC Session #8 to Accommodate Demand, PASSED
- Motion, Establish Position of Mekasher/Mekasheret (VP of BBYO Connect and 8th Grade Recruitment/Rush Captains) at Chapter, Council, Regional levels, PASSED
- Motion, Recruitment Requirements for Life Ceremony Eligibility, FAILED