Central Region West Visit (August 30th-September 9th)
Posted on 10/02/2012 @ 12:03 PM
Logan Miller, 88th International Grand Aleph Godol
Top 10 moments of my CRW visit in no particular order:
- CRW Kickoff 2012 - My last night on the west coast was one well spent. CRW had their 2012-2013 kickoff at the Tech Museum in San Jose. Nearly 500 teens came down! It was insane helping with admission as the line to get in just seemed to keep growing. It was a great kickoff and awesome to go to two CRW regional events in just over a week.
- Regional Execs - a weekend for all Chapter Godolim and N’siot, this was the first time CRW ever planned a regional execs. The 35 attendees brought their sleeping bags and clothes for a camping trip at Briones National Park. This was my first time camping and as the expression goes “you can take the boy out of the city but you can’t take the city out of the boy”. Not showering for 2 days was definitely a first for me. All in all though, it was a great weekend. I got to lead a session on parlimentary procedure and got to see some of the strengths and weaknesses of each chapter.
- Shabbat Dinner with David Ben Gurion AZA and Dreidel AZA - I got to spend a Shabbat evening with both David Ben Gurion AZA as well as Dreidel AZA for their first ever inter-chapter football game followed by a Shabbat dinner and service. Props to both chapters for their three-fold evening bringing together Alephs across the bay area. Thanks Eric Polansky for having us at your house.
- San Francisco with MaChar AZA - Several of the boys of Machar took me to San Francisco to see the city. It was my first time in San Fran so it was awesome to see some of the sights and the amazing ice cream at Ghirardelli. We all split the “Earthquake” which consists of 8 scoops of ice cream and 8 toppings. To say the least it was legend. Wait for it. Dairy.
- Seeing Grant Fineman - One night I got to see the 87th Grand Aleph Moreh Grant Fineman for dinner at UC Berkeley. It was great to see him again as he’s wrapping up his first month at school. Miss you buddy! Hope to see you again soon!
- Dreidel AZA Business Meeting - I went up to Oakland for the Dreidel AZA business meeting. It was tons of fun hanging out with them during business as well as playing punchball with them post-meeting.
- Parent Meeting - On Labor Day the chapters in the Peninsula area of CRW held a meeting for current and prospective members to give them a little more insight as to what BBYO is all about. The event at the Foster City JCC was a success with over 30 parents and a great presentation by Leeba Morse the Program Director of CRW as well as their Regional Godol Sagee Moyal and N”siah Alana Levine-Gorelick.
- Simon Wisenthal AZA - I got to hang out with some of the boys in Simon Wisenthal AZA for some poolside pizza after the parents meeting on Labor Day. Tons of fun playing basketball with the guys.
- Shopping with Leeba - Before the regional execs convention, Leeba Morse (Program Director for CRW) and I went shopping for our camping trip. I love shopping for food so shopping for 35 people was so much fun!
NFL Sunday - I spent my last morning in Cali on the first Sunday of the NFL year. Some of the guys came back with Alex Finkelstein and I for a sleepover at the Finkelstein residence after kickoff and we woke up to the sweet smell of Sunday football and BBQ curtousy of Chef Alex Finkelstein. Great wings Alex!
Thank you so much to the Finkelstein, Leviloff, Merritt, and Keider families for hosting me during my time in CRW.
Fraternally Submitted to Central Region West with undying love to the AZA board, BBG board, Machar AZA, Moad AZA, Dreidel AZA, Simon Weisenthal AZA, DBG AZA, Daniel Keider, Josh Berl, Tony, Grant Fineman, and the rest of Central Region West, I remain,
88th Grand Aleph Godol