From the Director:
I am so excited to welcome you to our new edition of the BBYO eNews. Each month I look forward to continuing to share highlights of recent programs, provide details of upcoming events, and feature opportunities for further involvement in BBYO and the community at large.
With Fall Convention behind us, our Regional Board is hard at work on our next few programs. Please save the date for the following programs:
Post-Hannukah Program (Sat. Dec. 11) - Our regional board is working hard to plan an evening of hannukah fun. Although the holiday will officially be over, we wanted to continue the festivities with a BBYO evening of hannukah celebration. Please save the date for this evening and keep an eye out for information to come soon!
If you have any questions about anything in this e-news or would just like to chat, please be in touch! I can be most easily reached at 718.962.2324 or email@example.com.
Chapter Board Leadership Training:
Our three-session chapter leadership training series took place over three recent Monday evenings. Teens in attendance were able to be better trained in the areas of “leadership”, “communication”, and “position specifics”. With an average of 47 teen leaders at each session, the seven-hour series brought a new light to leadership training in our region and was an overall triumph!
Fall Leadership Convention:
Our Fall Leadership Convention brought together 129 teens from across four boroughs of New York City come together to represent “The Few. The Proud. The Apple” on our Fall Leadership Convention. Our weekend was broken into session catering to various grade levels and BBYO experience. Our freshmen and new sophomores attended a time management session, a Menorah Pledge and Seven Cardinal Principles program, and a session detailing BBYO summer program opportunities. Our returning sophomores and juniors attended a Parli-Pro course hosted by our regional presidents, Sharon Kahn and Reid Packer, a “think before you send” program, focusing around internet bullying and being aware of how teens represent themselves on the internet, and a program planning “how-to” course. Our seniors were able to have some fun at a seniors only pool party, a session about how to leave your legacy on BBYO, and a special program hosted by our advisors entitled “Where do we go from here?”
The weekend was packed with amazing programs, tons of spirit and a new level of leadership development! Our weekend ended with our first regional convention group photo and the announcement of the winners of our Spirit Apple and Spirit Bat. Congratulations to Kallah BBG for winning the Spirit Apple and Ruach AZA for winning (for the second time in a row) the Spirit Bat!!!
$30,000+ IN COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
For over 30 years, the B’nai B’rith Career & Counseling Services of New York has administered a college scholarship program now totaling awards of more than $30,000 annually.
This year, we are again offering 9 college scholarships to high school seniors who demonstrate a strong academic record and a financial need. Financial need is considered in a broad sense in order to give students the opportunity of attending a college they may not ordinarily be able to attend due to rising college costs.
Any graduating high school senior, who will be entering college next year and lives in New York State or the New England States, is eligible to apply for these awards.
To receive a College Scholarship application, send a stamped, self addressed, #10 legal size envelope to:
BERSHAD COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
C/O B’NAI B’RITH METRONORTH REGION
801 SECOND AVENUE-14TH FLOOR
NEW YORK, N.Y. 10017
IMPORTANT: DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING ALL APPLICATION MATERIAL IS DECEMBER 31ST !
BBYO Registration is Open!
THIS SUMMER, I WANT TO...
BBYO Summer Experiences Registration Now Open!
Last year, more than 1,500 teens took part in BBYO Summer Experiences. They developed their leadership skills, served new communities, made friendships that will last for years to come and traveled the world. What program will you attend this summer? With dozens of program options, mix and match your summer to create your own adventure. Choose from:
- AZA & BBG's Flagship Leadership Development and Judaic Identity programs CLTC, ILTC and Kallah.
- Summer of Impact experiences through the PANIM Institute of BBYO. Serve new communities and make a real different in Boston, D.C. the Southwest and Israel!
- Passport to the World, BBYO's global travel program, taking teens to more than 16 countries around the world.
Click here to check out BBYO's Full Brochure of Summer Experience 2011 Offerings featuring videos, photo albums, scholarship information and more!
THIS YEAR, I WANT TO...
Don't miss out on several of BBYO's year-round International Programs currently open for registration:
- Panim el Panim: Receive advocacy training, participate in service learning and have the opportunity to lobby your elected officials on Capitol Hill -- all in a few days!
- ID: A Jewish Teen Summit on Immigration: Travel to Phoenix, AZ this December and take part in a seminar designed to highlight the issues around the immigration debate and how political activism relates to the core concepts of Jewish values. Walk away confident to speak informatively on the subject in your community.
- International Convention: Join hundreds of BBYO leaders in Los Angeles, CA February 17-21 to experience AZA & BBG at the highest level. Check out the IC 2011 Blog!
- March of the Living: Experience a two-week, life-altering journey where teens bear witness to the destruction of the Holocaust in Poland followed by a celebration of the State of Israel in the Jewish Homeland.
- Double Impact Scholarship: Earn a 50% scholarship towards the tuition of a domestic Summer of Impact experience and 25% towards Impact: Israel by performing 60 hours of community service during the school year!
BBYO Helps Teens Prepare for College and Beyond
With exceptional leadership programs and identity-enrichment experiences, BBYO has shaped the lives of its 250,000 alumni, including prominent business leaders, Congressional representatives and entrepreneurs. Many of them claim it is BBYO to which they “owe it all.”
BBYO provides programs and resources to help teens prepare for high school, college and their professional lives. In addition, BBYO annually contacts college admissions officers to let them know why teens with BBYO on their applications make stellar students on campus. >>Click here to view our letter to admissions officers at 50 of the most popular colleges and universities that Jewish teens attend.
And now, BBYO also brings value to the entire family by offering discounts through a partnership with Kaplan Test Prep. These discounts include:
- 10% off undergraduate test prep with the promotion code BBYO10. Learn more.
- 10% off graduate test prep for Friends & Alumni Network members with the promotion code BBYO10. Learn more.
- 10% off Kaplan Tutoring, offering private or semi-private tutoring for K-8th grades with the promotion code BBYO10. Learn more.
Hanukkah Silly Bands are Coming!
Happy Hanukkah from BBYO! We are excited to announce that neon, glow in the dark BBYO Silly Bands are on their way to help us celebrate the holiday season! Quantities are limited so stay tuned for more updated information on how to get this special Hanukkah gift!