Ohio Northern Region (ONR) BBYO Goes “Back to the Future”
In conjunction with the BBYO national e-newsletter, November marks the launch of our own ONR BBYO Regional eNews. The eNews will be one of the new communication features used to keep you upraised of the great things BBYO teens are doing locally and throughout the Order.
The ONR BBYO Regional Executive Board and Chapter Leaders have set many goals for this upcoming year, including…
- Growing membership by 12% from 628 to 705
- Launching an enhanced Young Leadership Development Program to prepare our huge class of 8th and 9th graders for AZA and BBG involvement
- Increasing teen participation in BBYO’s powerful summer experiences, Launch 1 new chapter in 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Infusing more Judaic content into our programs
- Enhancing 6th-8th grade programming as an entry point to powerful Jewish experiences.
Upcoming ONR BBYO Events
- The Cleveland Jewish Basketball League (CJBL) - Over 200 Jewish high school teens from Northeast Ohio will be coming to the Mandel JCC every Wednesday evening from 6 - 10 pm to play basketball, build leadership skills, and display good sportsmanship. The League culminates with a championship game being played at Quicken Loans Arena in March. Included in the cost of the League, each player will receive a ticket to the Cavs v. Thunder game on March 13th.
- B-Fit is a 10 week exercise program for any Jewish high school girl in Northeast Ohio. This program sponsored by Meyers, Roman, Friedberg & Lewis, is offered in partnership with the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and “Expect Respect”. Every week the B-fit exercise classes change and include yoga, Pilates, spinning, etc. Additionally, the teens from last year’s “B-Fit” program gave us their feedback and asked for a few special pre-exercise sessions about eating nutritiously, body image, breast cancer awareness, and teen dating abuse/violence. We’ve added four (4) pre-exercise sessions which will be led by female professionals from the Cleveland Clinic and Expect Respect. B-Fit isn’t just about the physical exercise… it’s a mental exercise as well. B-Fit is FREE to all participants.
- Leadership Training Institute (LTI) 2010: Change Your Altitude --- This annual ONR BBYO leadership convention at Camp Wise will be filled with fun and interactive programs, challenging the participants to “change their altitude”. The leadership skills gained in BBYO stay with participants throughout their lives, helping them to transition successfully to college and beyond. Some the training the teens will receive includes how to communicate effectively, how to plan quality programs and how to advocate for Israel.
- BBYO Makes a Splash at Kalahari --- Kalahari has become one of the annual adventures for ONR BBYO. Every year Northeast Ohio Jewish teens in Middle and High School go on a day trip to Kalahari Indoor Water Park in Sandusky, OH. This year the trip is scheduled for Sunday December 19th from 11 am - 7 pm. The price is $45 per teen and includes transportation from the Mandel JCC, locker rental, a slice of pizza, and beverage. Registration is currently open and spots are filling up for this winter vacation adventure. Register today by calling the ONR BBYO office at 216-360-0075.
Finding Meaning in your BBYO Experience
It is my pleasure to introduce the new ONR BBYO Judaic Specialist for the 2010-2011 BBYO Program Year… Jessica Bram! Jessica is a native of Cleveland, OH. She was an active Jewish teen in NIFTY, received her degree in Political Science & Jewish Studies from Indiana University and she also studied abroad at Tel Aviv University in Israel.
Jessica is an amazing addition to the ONR BBYO team. In addition to providing insight around the weekly Torah portion, through her “Spoonful of Torah,” Jessica has also been working with our teens to add Judaic values and knowledge into our programs. She is in our office every Wednesday and Sunday afternoon developing new programs and community service projects. I know she is enjoying her time thus far and looking forward to working with the great Jewish teens in our ONR BBYO communities. Jessica is the staff coordinator for our Regional Kallah (January 28-30, 2011). Please welcome Jessica to the Ohio Northern Region BBYO team and enjoy her weekly “Spoonful of Torah”.
Jessica welcomes your comments, questions and feedback. She can be reached via email at (email@example.com).
BBYO Registration is Open!
THIS SUMMER, I WANT TO...
BBYO Summer Experiences Registration Now Open!
Last year, more than 1,500 teens took part in BBYO Summer Experiences. They developed their leadership skills, served new communities, made friendships that will last for years to come and traveled the world. What program will you attend this summer? With dozens of program options, mix and match your summer to create your own adventure. Choose from:
- AZA & BBG's Flagship Leadership Development and Judaic Identity programs CLTC, ILTC and Kallah.
- Summer of Impact experiences through the PANIM Institute of BBYO. Serve new communities and make a real different in Boston, D.C. the Southwest and Israel!
- Passport to the World, BBYO's global travel program, taking teens to more than 16 countries around the world.
Click here to check out BBYO's Full Brochure of Summer Experience 2011 Offerings featuring videos, photo albums, scholarship information and more!
THIS YEAR, I WANT TO...
Don't miss out on several of BBYO's year-round International Programs currently open for registration:
- Panim el Panim: Receive advocacy training, participate in service learning and have the opportunity to lobby your elected officials on Capitol Hill -- all in a few days!
- ID: A Jewish Teen Summit on Immigration: Travel to Phoenix, AZ this December and take part in a seminar designed to highlight the issues around the immigration debate and how political activism relates to the core concepts of Jewish values. Walk away confident to speak informatively on the subject in your community.
- International Convention: Join hundreds of BBYO leaders in Los Angeles, CA February 17-21 to experience AZA & BBG at the highest level. Check out the IC 2011 Blog!
- March of the Living: Experience a two-week, life-altering journey where teens bear witness to the destruction of the Holocaust in Poland followed by a celebration of the State of Israel in the Jewish Homeland.
- Double Impact Scholarship: Earn a 50% scholarship towards the tuition of a domestic Summer of Impact experience and 25% towards Impact: Israel by performing 60 hours of community service during the school year!
BBYO Helps Teens Prepare for College and Beyond
With exceptional leadership programs and identity-enrichment experiences, BBYO has shaped the lives of its 250,000 alumni, including prominent business leaders, Congressional representatives and entrepreneurs. Many of them claim it is BBYO to which they “owe it all.”
BBYO provides programs and resources to help teens prepare for high school, college and their professional lives. In addition, BBYO annually contacts college admissions officers to let them know why teens with BBYO on their applications make stellar students on campus. >>Click here to view our letter to admissions officers at 50 of the most popular colleges and universities that Jewish teens attend.
And now, BBYO also brings value to the entire family by offering discounts through a partnership with Kaplan Test Prep. These discounts include:
- 10% off undergraduate test prep with the promotion code BBYO10. Learn more.
- 10% off graduate test prep for Friends & Alumni Network members with the promotion code BBYO10. Learn more.
- 10% off Kaplan Tutoring, offering private or semi-private tutoring for K-8th grades with the promotion code BBYO10. Learn more.
Hanukkah Silly Bands are Coming!
Happy Hanukkah from BBYO! We are excited to announce that neon, glow in the dark BBYO Silly Bands are on their way to help us celebrate the holiday season! Quantities are limited so stay tuned for more updated information on how to get this special Hanukkah gift!