- We are Shalom Austin, the hub of Jewish life in Central Texas.
- We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization comprised of the Jewish Community Center (JCC), Jewish Federation, Jewish Family Service (JFS), and the Jewish Foundation.
- The majority of our programming operates on 40+ beautiful acres on the Dell Jewish Community Campus in the live music capital of the world – “weird” Austin, Texas.
- We are a passionate group of more than 200 staff working on our mission of enhancing the quality of Jewish life in the greater Austin area and around the world through philanthropy, education, social service, culture, spirituality and total wellness.
- You don’t have to be Jewish to work with us; we promise to love you just as much as we love our Jewish staff.
- You care about UNITY. You recognize the importance of one team that leverages resources, talents and expertise to achieve a common purpose.
- You care about EXCELLENCE. You are committed to continual improvement and you consistently set new standards for success.
- You care about RESPECT. You nurture your workplace through honesty, sincerity and responsibility.
- You care about CREATIVITY. You approach both opportunities and obstacles with a spirit of flexibility, thinking critically to achieve innovative solutions.
- You care about INITIATIVE. You are a self-starter, driven to exceed expectations and claim a sense of ownership as you pursue your goals.
- You care about KNOWLEDGE. You engage in continuous learning and actively seek opportunities that provide professional enrichment and personal fulfillment.
About the Job
We need you to fill the role of Teen Manager. We are looking for somebody who is dedicated to influencing teens and creating positive environments where 6th through 12th graders can learn and develop their Jewish identities. This is a FULL TIME, EXEMPT position. You’ll wow us by masterfully performing the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Work with teens to strengthen and grow existing chapters.
- Help engage new members to join BBYO.
- Manage volunteer chapter advisors.
- Support and inspire teens by creating leadership development opportunities and serving as a Jewish role model and experiential educator.
- Help coordinate and oversee local overnight and weekend conventions, as scheduled.
- Staff and/or attend International BBYO Programs (International Convention, staff conference, and summer program).
- Help in developing an annual city program calendar and implementation plan.
- Develops positive relationships with program participants and families.
- Provides significant leadership and guidance with the Teen Task Force to provide a meaningful day of service for Jewish Austin Teens.
- Coordinates transportation and other programmatic elements.
- Acts as Camp Tiyul (Middle School Travel Camp) and LIT (Leaders in Training) Program Coordinator.
- Supervises counselors for Camp Tiyul.
- Collaborates to plan and execute special events related to JCamps.
Youth and Teen Administrative Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains solid understanding of department priorities, operations and events.
- Provides day to day tactical and operational support to any Youth and Teen programming needs.
- Supports department and organizational special events as needed.
- Provides program transportation with organization vehicles when needed.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Education, Jewish Studies, Child Development or related field.
- Cultural competency with Judaism or Jewish culture.
- At least two years of relevant experience with teen programming, after-school programming, summer camp or classroom teaching for grades 6-12.
- Ability to thrive working independently and on a team.
- Excellent project management skills, with ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to attend evening and weekend events as required.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License (if not in Texas, must be willing to get a Texas DL).
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (which include an FBI fingerprint check).
- Adhere to our Mission, Core Values, and all HR policies and procedures.
Compensation and Benefits
- We’ll pay you an annual salary of $35,000 to $37,000.
- While this is a salaried position, the typical daily hours are 10am to 6pm, with periodic evening and weekend events.
- We offer outstanding medical insurance coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and we’ll pay 80% of the premium cost on your behalf.
- We provide life and long-term disability insurance, and we pay 100% of the cost for you.
- We will give you lots of paid time off. First-year employees receive: 18 days of paid time off, and more than 15 Jewish and Federal holidays. (However, vacation time is not permitted during Spring Break week or the summer months due to the rigorous camp schedules.)
- We’ll offer you a 50% discount for your kiddos in our amazing early childhood program, as enrollment allows.
- We understand that you need a work/life balance and that you have commitments outside of the workplace, so we’ll do our very best to offer you some flexibility in your work schedule.
- We’ll provide you with the opportunity to make a difference in the Central Texas Jewish community every day.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we cannot respond to individual telephone inquiries about whether or not a position has been filled. Only applicants selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted by phone; all other applicants will be notified by email.
Shalom Austin provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion*, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
*Due to the nature of our organization and the needs of certain positions, there are times when preference is given to applicants who identify as Jewish.
To apply, complete an Employment Application.